Feel the crunch this summer, with chargrilled baby cauliflower ‘steaks’, sprinkled with Egyptian dukkah, a crunchy blend of nuts and spices. Served over herby buckwheat and harissa infused homemade hummus
INGREDIENTS (Delivered by Mindful Chef)
1 red onion
1 tbsp dukkah
1 tbsp oil
240g chickpeas (drained)
2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
2 tsp harissa paste
Medium handful of fresh mint
1. Boil a kettle. Rinse the buckwheat and place into as saucepan with 300ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 15 mins, then drain.
2. Pull any leaves off the cauliflower and trim the stem. Slice two 1-2cm thick 'steaks' from the centre of the cauliflower, from the base to the top. Remove the skin from the red onion, trim the root end but don't cut off as you want the layers to stay intact when you grill them. Cut the red onion into quarters. Cut the pomegranate in half, remove and reserve the seeds. Roughly chop the mint leaves and break the walnuts in half.
3. To make the harissa hummus; drain the chickpeas, reserving 1 tbsp of the liquid. Place in a bowl and mash the chickpeas until they are all crushed. Stir through the harissa, the juice from a quarter of the lemon and season with sea salt and black pepper.
4. Brush the cauliflower steaks and red onion with 1 tbsp oil and season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Heat the BBQ (or a griddle pan) to a medium-high heat and cook the red onion and cauliflower steaks for 3-4 mins each side until softened.
5. To make a dressing, in a bowl, mix the juice from a quarter of the lemon with the pomegranate molasses.
6. In a bowl, mix the cooked buckwheat, rocket, mint, walnuts and pomegranate seeds together then stir in half of the pomegranate dressing.
7. Spoon the buckwheat onto two warm plates and top with the chargrilled cauliflower, red onion and spoonfuls of the harissa hummus. Drizzle over the remaining pomegranate dressing and sprinkle over the dukkah.
Chef's tip: you can grate the remaining cauliflower and use cauliflower rice.
See more delicious summertime recipes from Mindful Chef and grab your very own home-delivered box of seasonal ingredients here.