16 July 2019
Recipe: Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Flapjack Bars
These vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free peanut butter chocolate protein flapjack bars are great for a mid-morning snack, afternoon tea treat, high-protein workout bar or an impressive dessert
Rich and delicious, these flapjack bars are loaded with peanut butter and vanilla protein to create a chewy and irresistible oaty base, topped with a creamy dark chocolate ganache, then swirled with more peanut butter.
These vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free bars are great for a mid-morning snack, afternoon tea treat, high-protein workout bar or an impressive dessert.
For the peanut butter flapjack base:
- 270g peanut butter
- 70g syrup
- 80g oats
- 25g vanilla protein (or more oats)
- 40-50ml almond milk (if using the protein powder)
For the chocolate ganache topping:
1. Line an 8x8 inch tin or container with parchment paper.
- 120g chocolate
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tbsp syrup
- 30g peanut butter
2. Over a bain-marie melt the peanut butter and syrup together for the flapjack base (in a bowl big enough to fit the other base ingredients) and whisk until creamy and thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the oats, vanilla protein powder (if using) until combined, adding the milk if needed.
3. Pour the flapjack base into the lined tray and press down firmly with your hands and/or a spatula to ensure a thick and even base layer. Transfer to the fridge.
4. Break up the chocolate into a clean bowl and melt over a bain-marie. Remove from the heat once melted and stir in the milk and syrup until it thickens and turns glossy. Spread the ganache over the base layer. Drop spoonfuls of the peanut butter over the chocolate ganache and drag a sharp knife or cocktail stick through the top layer to create a streaky pattern. Return to the fridge and allow to set for 1 hour.
5. Once set, chop into 16 squares.
Find more yummy recipes from Nourishing Amy on Instagram