These savoury cherry tomato and mushroom pancakes work as a fancy, nutritious breakfast, healthy lunch or as a delicious dinner!
These beautiful cherry tomato and mushroom pancakes work as a fancy, nutritious breakfast, healthy lunch or as a delicious dinner!
For the pancakes
120g chickpea (gram) flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
For the topping
12 cherry tomatoes
8 chestnut mushrooms, halved
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ tsp dried thyme
1 avocado, sliced
1. Combine the gram flour, baking powder, ground turmeric, nutritional yeast (if using) and some salt and black pepper and whisk in the water until smooth. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160Fan/180*C and place the tomatoes on a lined tray. Drizzle with some olive oil, salt and black pepper and roast for 20 minutes and blistering. Or, cook the tomatoes on a lined tray under the grill for 10-15 minutes until blistering.
3. Heat a small drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan and fry off the garlic and thyme for 1 minute before adding in the mushrooms. Allow to sweat and cook for 5 minutes until soft and shiny.
4. Heat a large non-stick frying pan with a little oil and drop spoonfuls of the savoury pancake batter onto the pan – about 2 tbsp per pancake. Bubbles will form on the surface then flip over and cook for another couple of minutes until golden brown. Repeat until all the batter has been used.
5. Serve the pancakes warm with the roasted tomatoes, fried mushrooms and slices of avocado. Top with some fresh coriander, sesame seeds and a drizzle of tahini.
Find more recipes from Nourishing Amy on her Instagram or catch her at Balance Festival 2020.