Need a new go-to brunch recipe that's as simple as it is delicious? These apple pancakes from Deliciously Ella take just 10 minutes!
My husband Matt is a pancake obsessive – he would have them every day for breakfast if he could – so these are a staple in our house. They couldn’t be easier to throw together and I love the mix of cinnamon, apple and maple – it gives them such great flavour. We normally have them just with lots of almond butter during the week or with these baked apple slices at the weekend.
What You'll Need:
For the pancakes
200g plain flour (we use glutenfree)
or use self-raising flour to
make them extra fluffy
150g porridge oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon,
plus extra to serve
300ml almond or oat milk, plus
more if needed
5 tablespoons unsweetened
apple purée (we like the
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon chia seeds
coconut oil, for frying
For the baked apple
1 apple, halved and cored
½ tablespoon coconut oil,
1 teaspoon coconut sugar
1. If you’re making the baked apple, preheat the oven to 180°C fan. Cut each apple half into around 5 slices and mix with the coconut oil, coconut sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. Spread out on a lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until golden.
2. Place the flour, oats, baking powder and cinnamon in a bowl and slowly pour the almond or oat milk into the mixture, whisking until smooth.
3. Add the apple purée, maple syrup and chia seeds and stir through then give the mixture a final whisk. It should be a smooth, thick batter – but you can add a little more almond or oat milk if you need to.
4. Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the coconut oil – we normally start with about half a tablespoon. Once melted, spoon 3 tablespoons of batter into the pan to make a round pancake. Let it cook for 1–2 minutes, until the top is no longer runny, then flip it over and let it cook for a further 2 minutes.
5. Repeat with the rest of the mixture until all of the pancakes are ready. You can keep them warm in an oven set to 120ºC fan if needed.
6. Serve the pancakes with the baked apple slices and a pinch of cinnamon.
Find this and more recipes just like it in Deliciously Ella's latest cookbook, Deliciously Ella Quick and Easy.