Roast potatoes don't get much tastier than this. Upgrade your roasties with this hearty vegan dish from Nourishing Amy. This roasted cumin potatoes with harissa spiced chickpeas and lemon tahini recipe is equally suited to wintery weekends in or summery picnics out.
Roast potatoes don't get much tastier than this. Upgrade your roasties with this hearty vegan dish, equally suited to wintry weekends in or summery picnics out.
2 large or 4 medium potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut into wedges
Olive or coconut oil
1 small white onion
2 garlic cloves
½ tsp each: cumin seeds, ground coriander, smoked paprika
¼ tsp each: chilli flakes, ground turmeric
½ tsp each: ground cumin, dried thyme
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp tomato puree
4 tbsp water
1 avocado, sliced
1 large handful kale, torn
For the lemon tahini:
4 tbsp tahini
½ tsp brown rice miso paste
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and black pepper
Fresh coriander, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 170Fan/190*C and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Toss the potato wedges in a drizzle of olive oil, the ground cumin and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Place onto baking tray and roast for 40 minutes, or until tender and turning golden – turning over halfway through.
2. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a saucepan and fry off the onion and garlic for 10 minutes until golden and translucent. Now add the spices and fry for one minute until fragrant. Add the chickpeas, the tomato puree and the water and stir well to coat the chickpeas evenly. Continue to fry for five minutes (adding more water as necessary to stop it from burning dry) until the sauce is thick and the chickpeas have warmed through. Remove from the heat.
3. To make the lemon tahini dressing, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and season to taste. Add more water as needed to reach a creamy and pourable consistency.
4. Shred the kale and add to a bowl with 2 tsp of the tahini dressing and massage with your hands until the leaves have wilted.
5. To serve, divide the kale between two plates, top with the potato wedges, the harissa chickpeas, the chopped avocado, fresh coriander and drizzle over the lemon tahini.
Find more recipes from Nourishing Amy on her Instagram
or catch her at Balance Festival 2020