A delicious and simple dinner for friends and family, or to meal prep for one, this Spicy Mango and Tofu Bowl with Coconut Satay Sauce is packed with colour and flavour. It’s an Asian-inspired dish with a tropical twist and is vegan, gluten free and healthy. It has a vibrant mix of cooked and raw vegetables, crispy sesame tofu and creamy coconut peanut butter satay sauce.
Vegan | Gluten free
For the main meal:
120g wild rice (or brown)
200g extra-firm tofu, in cubes
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
200g broccoli, in florets
1/2 small ripe mango, in cubes
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
100g cucumber, thinly sliced
150g handful red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
Coconut Satay Sauce:
3 tbsp peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
4 tbsp coconut milk
1 tsp brown rice miso paste
1 tsp sriracha
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated (or ½ tsp ground)
1 tbsp lime juice
To serve: 50g toasted peanuts, fresh mint
1. Cook the rice according to packet instructions, leave to one side.
2. Preheat the oven to 170Fan/190*C and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Toss the tofu cubes and broccoli florets with the sesame oil and tamari and bake until golden brown and turning crisp, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven.
3. Place the shredded cabbage in a small bowl with 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt. Massage for a minute with your hands and leave to one side.
4. Prepare all the other vegetables.
5. Make the Coconut Satay Sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisking until smooth. Adding a splash more milk if needed to reach a pourable consistency. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
6. To assemble the bowls, place 1 handful spinach at the bottom, followed by the cooked rice, baked tofu cubes and roasted broccoli, mango, red pepper slices, cabbage and cucumber. Drizzle with the Coconut Satay Sauce and sprinkle with crushed toasted peanuts, and fresh mint.
Hungry for more? Discover more recipes from Nourishing Amy on her Instagram