Catie Miller, owner and founder of Xtend Barre London tells us why she loves barre and why, as soon as you give it a go, you will too!
Why are barre workouts so effective?
Barre workouts are on the rise because they are for every age and fitness level. Xtend Barre prides itself on their stellar team of highly trained and qualified instructors who lead you through a safe and effective workout. You don't have to be a dancer and the results are dramatic! Being able to participate in a safe and effective workout is incredibly important and Xtend Barre provides just that!
Who should try barre?
Barre is an effective workout for everyone designed to sculpt, strengthen and motivate. The Xtend Barre workout in particular brings in elements of dance, ballet and Pilates to create an adrenaline-fuelled workout that strengthens, lengthens and chisels the body. Each Xtend Barre class features an elegant yet energetic combination of movements that enhance flexibility, improve balance, and challenge the core. The great thing about barre is that anyone can do it - from complete beginners to professional dancers.
What should we expect from a barre class?
The classic Xtend Barre class incorporates elements of dance and Pilates and is infused with lots of cardio elements, which combine to give quick and effective results. The new Xtend Barre studio in Marylebone offers 12 other variations ranging from Xtend Yoga Flow, Xtend Pilates, Circuit7, Xtend Suspend (TRX-inspired training), Roll & Release and Fitball, catering to various different fitness needs. There is something for everyone.
What are the long term benefits?
Barre improves your posture, fitness and flexibility. The combination of stretching and working your whole body to its full range of movement in Xtend Barre classes improves circulation and increases flexibility. Toning exercises are paired with stretches and Pilates techniques that elongate the muscles to help you stand taller, achieving a dancer’s grace. The type of regular stretching done in barre classes has been shown to increase the production of collagen (which helps with firming and toning) increase flexibility and helps correct poor posture by lengthening tight muscles that pull areas of the body away from their intended position. Stretching just twice a week can assist in maintaining our lean muscle and can actually increase our blood and nutrient supply to our muscles, thus reducing muscle fatigue.
What about the mental and emotional affects?
The ballet aspect of Xtend Barre gives those who are new to dance the opportunity to move in ways that they are not used to, which offers a sense of freedom and release. As with all exercise, barre can help relieve stress and improve your mood. This, combined with improved posture, can give you greater self-confidence.
Why should we choose Xtend?
What sets Xtend Barre aside from all other programs is the added cardio element. The graceful yet energetic combination of movements enables clients to get the most out of their workout. The Xtend Barre team is there to focus on form and get you to your 'challenge zone'. Xtend Barre clients can burn anywhere from 200-600 calories per session which is why our clients continue to come back for more! No two classes are ever the same and Xtend Barre is most importantly fun!
Catie's top 10 reasons barre is one of the best workouts
1. We believe the best things in life make you sweaty! Our music, instructors and adrenaline fueled moves get your heart racing each and every time! The new Xtend Barre studio in Marylebone offers 12 variations of the signature Xtend Barre class, ranging from Xtend Yoga Flow, Xtend Pilates, Circuit7, Xtend Suspend (TRX-inspired training), Roll & Release and Fitball, catering to various different fitness needs.
2. Xtend Barre adds elements of cardio into each class so you can burn anywhere between 200-600 calories each session-- (talk about packing a punch--YES!). In addition to cardio and toning exercises, stretching also forms an important part of the Xtend Barre workout. Regular stretching can increase the production of collagen which helps firm and tone the muscles, increase flexibility and helps correct poor posture by lengthening tight muscles that pull areas of the body away from their intended position.
3. The Xtend Barre burn is real! Squeeze, stretch, lengthen and grow are all words that you will hear in your barre class. The focus of movement and how you use your muscles has a huge effect on how they develop. Length and strength are at the very core of ballet/barre movements, creating beautiful lean and long muscles without bulk.
4. The results are quick and effective. Within your first 3 classes you will begin to see results. We love guiding our clients to jaw dropping results.
5. Xtend Barre goes far deeper than a plie! We are a lifestyle brand and our clients feel safe, accomplished and proud in the studio and beyond. As with all exercise, barre can help relieve stress and improve your mood. This, combined with improved posture, can give you greater self-confidence.
6. All instructors are Pilates trained, which means our classes will have much more focus on alignment and form and not just technique.
7. Barre incorporates functional movements with a lot of it done standing, which can make it more appropriate for pre and postnatal, older clientele as well as clients rehabilitating back from injuries.
8. When you come to class you might meet our oldest client who is 78, stand behind a professional ballerina, or even meet a boy!
9. Barre is becoming more popular for men as an alternative to their regular strength and cardio regimes. You'll work every muscle in your body (and find ones you probably didn't realise you had!)
10. It's FUN!